How I Reported the Story

Our reporters produce service journalism pieces and report on issues related to poverty through our partnerships with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution and the Athens Banner-Herald. Below, read how they reported their stories to see how these journalists take multiple different approaches to reporting and storytelling.

Service Journalism

How I Reported the Story: Need rental assistance? These 3 routes are available for metro Atlantans. Reporter William Newlin shares the process behind finding and learning more about relevant resources for rental assistance in Georgia.

How I Reported the Story: How Organizations are Working to Diminish Diaper Need and Where to Find Free Products. Reporter Janelle Ward shares the research she did to better understand the problem of “diaper need,” and explains how she found key sources.

How I Reported the Story: Help for those in Northeast Georgia: Where to find shelters, washrooms and food pantries. Reporters Allison Caso, Brieanna Smith and Foster Steinbeck reflect on the reporting process behind a project to provide an extensive list of resources available to food and shelter insecure residents in Athens-Clarke County.

How I Reported The Story: 3 Things to Know About COVID Care Costs. Reporter Sofi Gratas shares her strategy for a fact-based piece for people concerned or struggling with the cost of COVID-19 care.

How I Reported the Story: How to Find Affordable Child Care in Georgia. Reporter Anila Yoganathan explores the world of affordable child care for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

How I Reported the Story: Grab your sneakers! Here are some upcoming fundraiser runs, events in the Athens area. Reporter Liset Cruz explores community engagement and explains how to ask questions about sensitive topics.

How I Reported the Story: Where to find COVID-19 vaccines in East Athens. Reporter Janelle Ward explains the need for a service journalism piece on local vaccination sites and her research process.

Features

How I Reported the Story: Marigold Market among the farmers markets working to make fresh produce more accessible. Reporters Irene Wright and Foster Steinbeck share the reporting process behind this feature piece on a Winterville, Georgia farmers market that teams up with an Atlanta nonprofit to match SNAP benefits so families can spend double on healthy foods.

How I Reported the Story: Pantries at Athens area colleges, student centers grow to combat hunger. Reporters Allison Caso and Brieanna Smith share how they contextualized the prevalent issue of student food insecurity, and how they localized the issue.

How I Reported the Story: How Metro Atlanta Housing Groups Adapted to COVID-19. Reporter William Newlin shares what he learned while reporting on how metro Atlanta housing groups adapted to the COVID-19 pandemic.

How I Reported the Story: Colleges Expand Food Pantries to Help Studies in Need. Reporter Sofi Gratas explains how she discovered a trend in the development of new and expanded student pantries in Atlanta-area universities.

How I Reported the Story: For Local Nonprofits, Need and Support Swells. Reporters Carolyn Crist and William Newlin examine trends in Atlanta-area nonprofits.

How I Reported the Story: New Books for Keeps executive director seeks to grow nonprofit for youth literacy. Reporter Janelle Ward shares how she told the story of a local nonprofit that aims to grow youth literacy.